I’m working on a 1920s team – only vehicles from the 1920s or earlier (call it Gaslands by Gaslight if you want) – and I decided to start at the end and build a monster truck for some reason. Of course where were no such things as monster trucks in the 1920s, so I had to get… creative.
The car on top is a cheap Model T model I grabbed off Etsy of all places; I tore the bottom off, primed it, and repainted it red. It’s difficult to see but I did a fair amount of detail work on the (open) interior as well, like the gear shift, seats, and steering wheel.
The body is where things start to get interesting. I had a BB-8 monster truck with a flexible, different chassis than most Hot Wheels monster trucks that I’d picked up at some point. I was originally just going to use its wheels and replace the body with the Model T, but the large tires just didn’t look right. It also turned out that the way the body sat on the chassis, I had to cover a lot of silly-looking areas, which is why there are steel and metal plates on the sides (and the front, which covers the enormous MADE IN CHINA that’s molded into the plastic itself!
I solved the tires by replacing the front with two S-scale locomotive wheels I’d picked up with some other random junk parks for a couple of bucks, and the back with two wooden wagon wheels I found from a seller on eBay. My original plan was the use the locomotive wheels on my War Rig as decorations, hanging them from the trailer with chains, but that made the Rig look too busy so I put them back in the parts bag. This is a great example of why I never toss anything out (or packrat literally everything I might be able to use). The wheels were a strange red plastic, so I did them up black and added a bunch of grey and chrome weathering, along with the rusted steel on the rims.
I actually painted the wagon wheels to look like a darker wood; they were originally a light color like oak or pine and it didn’t look right with the overall darker shades in this build. The wheels are on four separate “axels” made from bamboo cooking skewers, and I left the tips on the front skewers so they doubled as spiky bits.
Overall I’m pretty happy with how this turned out. My only complaint is that the chassis of the car still looks a little small for a monster truck (it’s not long enough) but I think it would look really silly to put that Model T body on a longer, traditional monster truck chassis, so I decided this build worked out alright.